What is PATRA Inc ACDA’s Trainee Programme?
The Race Relations Act 1976 (now replaced by the Equality Act 2010) recognised that people from the Black Minority Ethnic community were not always represented in terms of employment. The Act allowed that Positive Action Training could be organised to encourage those groups that were under-represented. PATRA (Positive Action Training & Recruitment Agency) Inc ACDA (African Caribbean Development Agency) finds and matches high quality trainees from the black minority ethnic community to local employer job opportunities.
How does it work?
Trainees participate in an accredited training programme to develop a range of skills that will help them to successfully compete for permanent jobs. During the programme trainees build their vocational skills, gain recognised qualifications and work with a local employer.
Trainees are expected to show the same motivation, determination and co-operation to undertake their work placement duties as any other permanent employee.
What are the eligibility criteria to join PATRA?
To be eligible to apply for a traineeship trainees must:
- Live within the Nottingham City boundary
- Not be qualified above A-Level standard (e.g. if you already have a degree you will not be eligible)
- Have the right to work in the UK
How long does the training last?
The training programme runs for twelve months.
Trainees are paid an allowance of £9000 per annum (as this is a training allowance trainees do not have to pay Tax or National Insurance).
What does the Job entail?
The job is to work as a trainee for PATRA Inc ACDA, which will provide training, work experience, mentoring and support
What are some of the main functions a trainee would be expected to undertake?
- To undertake a one year traineeship with PATRA Inc ACDA including training courses and development events.
- To undertake an appropriate placement with a suitable provider.
- To carry out a range of appropriate and varied duties.
- To uphold the policies and procedures of PATRA Inc ACDA and the placement provider.
What is the procedure if I want to become a PATRA trainee?
- Firstly you will need to register with PATRA (see 'Apply to Join PATRA' below).
- You will then be invited to attend at PATRA’s offices to undergo a pre-assessment interview. If this is satisfactory and you are still interested in becoming a Trainee you will then undertake a skills assessment.
- This assessment consists of Literacy and Numeracy tests together with a PC skills test (Excel and Word).
- If the tests are passed you will be asked to complete an Application Form and your details will be recorded on our database.
- When a suitable trainee vacancy becomes available you will be given the Job Description/Person Spec for that post. If you wish to apply you will be asked to attend at PATRA’s offices for an interview.
- If successful you will be issued with a formal Traineeship Contract before commencing your traineeship. If unsuccessful you will remain on our database until a further suitable vacancy arises.